[ExI] punishment

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:04:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Tom Nowell <nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, I remember in my school religious studies textbook (a book so old it quoted Howard Jones lyrics) it mentioned removal, and had four reasons for punishment along the lines of "3 Rs plus D" so Lee's probably not making it up. One of the things that book was discussing was how Christian justice emphasises rehabilitation and the opportunity for criminals to reform their ways, as opposed to purely retributive justice.

Yes.

In fact, especially capital punishment is considered by traditional
catholic doctrine as a *very* effective opportunity for rehabilitation
and reform.

In particular, it gives prison chaplains an inestimable opportunity to
approach criminals under severe stress and an immediate threat to
their life, suggesting them if anything to accept a Pascal wager ("if
you convert and sincerely repent, what would you have to lose at this
point even if no paradisiac reward were there waiting for you?").

--
Stefano Vaj