[ExI] punishment [and politicians]

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Mar 28 18:46:54 UTC 2009

  <<http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/03/28/webb/index.html>http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/03/28/webb/index.html>

Jim Webb's courage v. the "pragmatism" excuse for politicians

Glenn Greenwald

[many links in original text]

Mar. 28, 2009 |

There are few things rarer than a major politician doing something
that is genuinely courageous and principled, but Jim Webb's
impassioned commitment to fundamental prison reform is exactly
that.  Webb's interest in the issue was prompted by his work as a
journalist in 1984, when he wrote about an American citizen who was
locked away in a Japanese prison for two years under extremely harsh
conditions for nothing more than marijuana possession.  After decades
of mindless "tough-on-crime" hysteria, an increasingly irrational
"drug war," and a sprawling, privatized prison state as brutal as it
is counter-productive, America has easily surpassed Japan -- and
virtually every other country in the world -- to become what Brown
University Professor Glenn Loury recently described as a nation of
jailers" whose "prison system has grown into a leviathan unmatched in
human history."

What's most notable about Webb's decision to champion this cause is
how honest his advocacy is.  He isn't just attempting to chip away at
the safe edges of America's oppressive prison state.  His critique of
what we're doing is fundamental, not incremental.  And, most
important of all, Webb is addressing head-on one of the principal
causes of our insane imprisonment fixation:  our aberrational
insistence on criminalizing and imprisoning non-violent drug
offenders (when we're not doing worse to them).  That is an issue
most politicians are petrified to get anywhere near, as evidenced
just this week by Barack Obama's adolescent, condescending snickering
when asked about marijuana legalization, in response to which Obama
gave a dismissive answer that Andrew Sullivan accurately deemed
"pathetic."  Here are just a few excerpts from Webb's Senate floor
speech this week on his new bill to create a Commission to study all
aspects of prison reform:

Let's start with a premise that I don't think a lot of Americans are
aware of. We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the
world's known prison population. We have an incarceration rate in the
United States, the world's greatest democracy, that is five times as
high as the average incarceration rate of the rest of the world.
There are only two possibilities here: either we have the most evil
people on earth living in the United States; or we are doing
something dramatically wrong in terms of how we approach the issue of
criminal justice. . . .
The elephant in the bedroom in many discussions on the criminal
justice system is the sharp increase in drug incarceration over the
past three decades. In 1980, we had 41,000 drug offenders in prison;
today we have more than 500,000, an increase of 1,200%. The blue
disks represent the numbers in 1980; the red disks represent the
numbers in 2007 and a significant percentage of those incarcerated
are for possession or nonviolent offenses stemming from drug
addiction and those sorts of related behavioral issues. . . .

In many cases these issues involve people's ability to have proper
counsel and other issues, but there are stunning statistics with
respect to drugs that we all must come to terms with.
African-Americans are about 12% of our population; contrary to a lot
of thought and rhetoric, their drug use rate in terms of frequent
drug use rate is about the same as all other elements of our society,
about 14%. But they end up being 37% of those arrested on drug
charges, 59% of those convicted, and 74% of those sentenced to prison
by the numbers that have been provided by us. . . .
Another piece of this issue that I hope we will address with this
National Criminal Justice Commission is what happens inside our
prisons. . . . We also have a situation in this country with respect
to prison violence and sexual victimization that is off the charts
and we must get our arms around this problem. We also have many
people in our prisons who are among what are called the criminally
ill, many suffering from hepatitis and HIV who are not getting the
sorts of treatment they deserve.
Importantly, what are we going to do about drug policy - the whole
area of drug policy in this country?
And how does that affect sentencing procedures and other alternatives
that we might look at?

<http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Sens._Webb_Specter_Prison_system_national_0326.html>Webb
added that "America's criminal justice system has deteriorated to the
point that it is a national disgrace" and "we are locking up too many
people who do not belong in jail."

It's hard to overstate how politically thankless, and risky, is
Webb's pursuit of this issue -- both in general and particularly for
Webb.  Though there has been some evolution of public opinion on some
drug policy issues, there is virtually no meaningful organized
constituency for prison reform.  To the contrary, leaving oneself
vulnerable to accusations of being "soft on crime" has, for decades,
been one of the most toxic vulnerabilities a politician can suffer
(ask Michael Dukakis).  Moreover, the privatized Prison State is a
booming and highly profitable industry, with an army of lobbyists,
donations, and other well-funded weapons for targeting candidates who
threaten its interests.

Most notably, Webb is in the Senate not as an invulnerable,
multi-term political institution from a safely blue state (he's not
Ted Kennedy), but is the opposite:  he's a first-term Senator from
Virginia, one of the "toughest" "anti-crime" states in the country
(it abolished parole in 1995 and is second only to Texas in the
number of prisoners it executes), and Webb won election to the Senate
by the narrowest of margins, thanks largely to George Allen's
macaca-driven implosion.  As
<http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=03&year=2009&base_name=webb_emerges_as_the_prison_guy>Ezra
Klein wrote, with understatement:  "Lots of politicians make their
name being anti-crime, which has come to mean pro-punishment. Few
make their name being pro-prison reform."

For a Senator like Webb to spend his time trumpeting the evils of
excessive prison rates, racial disparities in sentencing, the unjust
effects of the Drug War, and disgustingly harsh conditions inside
prisons is precisely the opposite of what every single political
consultant would recommend that he do.  There's just no plausible
explanation for what Webb's actions other than the fact that he's
engaged in the noblest and rarest of conduct:  advocating a position
and pursuing an outcome because he actually believes in it and
believes that, with reasoned argument, he can convince his fellow
citizens to see the validity of his cause.  And he is doing this
despite the fact that it potentially poses substantial risks to his
political self-interest and offers almost no prospect for political
reward. [etc]