[ExI] retrainability of plebeians

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri May 1 18:09:14 UTC 2009

At 11:28 PM 4/30/2009 -0400, Rafal wrote:

>  > If a universal income made it really hard
> > to employ people to do this, then it would provide incentive to
> > private industry (or a free project!) to automate the job once and for
> > all.
>
>### Since you would need to tax private industry into oblivion to
>provide an universal income guarantee, nothing would get automated.

The thread-context has been lost, I think. My sense is that this
thread started as an enquiry into what happens as machines drive more
and more people out of work--can such people be retained, and for
what jobs? Even so, in my own long post summarizing early analyses of
guaranteed income proposals, I cited one economist's estimate that
introducing such a scheme in the 1960s or 1970s would have cost the
equivalent of a small war. There has been a number of wars since
then, large and small, paid for by taxpayers, yet private industry is
still around (even if it's currently battered by other failures,
usually of its own making).

Damien Broderick