[ExI] Economic laws/was Re: retrainability of plebeians

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:21:48 UTC 2009

On 5/1/09, Aware wrote:
> Nothing at all wrong with such "laws", or rather principles describing
>  observed regularities.  The problem here (as often within these
>  "rationalist" forums), is one of context.  The meaning of x (its
>  semantics, its observed nature in terms of the dynamics of the system)
>  is *always* dependent on context, and when context is taken into
>  account, the value of the principle is a reflection of its extreme
>  consistency (within an extremely general context.)

Perhaps surprisingly, I agree!  :)

As I said, every situation has to be examined on its own merits.
I am objecting to simplistic economic statements like
'reduce prices and sell more'.
Sometimes that happens, but not always.

Like the years of economic depression we are in now, prices will be
falling for many years, but there will be little, if any, increase in
sales for a long time to come.

BillK