[ExI] libertarians and inheritance

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon May 4 19:38:21 UTC 2009

"Dan" <dan_ust at yahoo.com>

> Regarding inheritence in general, too, I think the outcome of enforcing
> taxes on it has been to increase the power of the state and dependency on
> it

Well sure, but that's in the nature of all taxes and in the real world we're
not likely to see the elimination of all taxes anytime soon; but we might be
able to get rid of some of them and inheritance taxes would not be on my
list of taxes that need to be eliminated immediately.

>  As a strict libertarian,  in terms of justice

I'm a Libertarian too and I like justice as well as the next man, but given
the choice between justice and a decision in my favor there is simply no
contest; don't look at me like that, at least I'm willing to admit it. When
was the last time you heard a baseball player screaming at a umpire
"What do you mean I'm safe, are you blind, clearly I was out!".

And if any list member is a billionaire and also wants to mention me in his
will I promise I won't flame you about it, in fact I promise to say only
good things about you.

Not only that but I'll be glad to pack your parachute for your next skydive
too.

 John K Clark