[ExI] intolerant minds, a different flavor

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:52:08 UTC 2009

On 5/5/09, Lee Corbin wrote:
>  The only cases I can think of where prohibitions on
>  free speech make sense fall into a category that I
>  call "justified elitism". At a given elementary school,
>  for example, the adults---who really are much wiser
>  than the children---may prohibit one group of children
>  from calling another group of children names.
>
>  I also think that in the back of the minds of those
>  who call for prohibitions on free speech lurks
>  exactly the same kind of elitism. "You never know,"
>  I can almost hear them saying, "how such memes may
>  spread when picked up by the ignorant masses, and
>  what woeful effects will result".

I would lump this under 'etiquette' or 'how to behave properly in company'.

What sort of a society do you want to live in?

Do you want to live in a society where people behave like savages?
Swearing, farting, belching, peeing in public, rudely commenting on
women present, grabbing the best party food first, disparaging other
people, etc. etc.

Free speech is fine. But discuss your views only with people who want
to listen. Forcing your 'free speech' on unwilling listeners is
initiating aggression towards them.

BillK