[ExI] "recession is going to end in about 6 weeks"

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue May 5 21:45:44 UTC 2009

On 5/5/09, John K Clark wrote:
> Boy oh boy I hope you're right.

What you need is:
<http://www.theonion.com/content/news/nation_ready_to_be_lied_to_about>

Nation Ready To Be Lied To About Economy Again
May 4, 2009 | Issue 45•19

Tired of hearing the grim truth about their economic future, Americans
demanded that the bald-faced lies resume immediately, particularly
whenever politicians feel the need to divulge another terrifying
problem with Wall Street, the housing market, or any one of a hundred
other ticking time bombs everyone was better off not knowing about.

"I thought I wanted a new era of transparency and accountability, but
honestly, I just can't handle it," Ohio resident Nathan Pletcher said.
"All I ever hear about now is how my retirement has been pushed back
15 years and how I won't be able to afford my daughter's tuition when
she grows up."

"From now on, just tell me the bullshit I want to hear," Pletcher
added. "Tell me my savings are okay, everybody has a job, and we're
No. 1 again. Please, just lie to my face."

<snip>

"Please, treat me like a child. Treat me like a five-year-old,"
Sacramento resident David Cooke, 64, wrote in a letter to Congress. "I
lost everything when the Dow tanked, and I'm too old to start working
again, so why punish me further by explaining in detail the clever
ways these investment firms ripped me off and how they're all going to
get away with it?"

Thus far, many policymakers in Washington have responded favorably to
their constituents' requests, saying they respect and understand the
public's need for dishonesty.

"I think we can accommodate the American people on this," Senate
majority leader Harry Reid (D-NV) told reporters.