[ExI] The Circle of Coercion/was Re: Friedman and negative income tax

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed May 6 04:09:26 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

 I have the same
> choice if I don't like the taxes in the state where I live: I could
> change the way I work or I could move, although that might be
> inconvenient, costly or impossible.

### Sure. But, is it good? I am sure you don't think that
intentionally limiting choices available to people is generally a good
idea. Taxation is a net reduction of choices: compared to a voluntary
system, it is almost impossible to use taxation to achieve a net
increase in the range of choices available to participants. Taxes
almost always make the taxed worse off - yet you seem to attribute
legitimacy to them, you seem to identify with their imposition,
although you reject other limitations of your choices (e.g. imposed by
"crime syndicates"). Both taxes and "protection" paid to crime bosses
make you worse off - yet you support the former and reject the latter.
Why?

Rafal