[ExI] Friedman and negative income tax

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 8 10:53:28 UTC 2009

On 5/8/09, Lee Corbin wrote:
>  We too seldom inquire as to "how did anyone
>  become wealthy in the first place?". "How
>  did any society succeed to the point that
>  we have something against which to compare
>  so-called failed societies?"
>
>  Remember that this is what happened originally.
>  This was the natural state. This is the default
>  condition. We must focus on how any society rose
>  above this default condition, and what makes it
>  possible for any society to do so.
>
>  The culture had to become "strong" enough so
>  that a sufficient number of people chose to
>  behave differently. This was accomplished,
>  historically, in precisely the way that Rafal
>  indicates, namely by those who failed to adhere
>  to high standards becoming examples of what
>  not to do. This is how probity evolved.

No, it didn't.

In early societies, violence was the secret sauce, with slavery close behind.

People got rich by using force to take it from weaker people /
nations. Then using more force (legal system, armies, etc.) to keep
control.

The idea of democracy and working to better yourself is very recent.
And mostly it is not allowed to interfere with the existing rich and
powerful classes. (Some exceptions, of course).

BillK