[ExI] The Circle of Coercion

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Fri May 8 13:53:40 UTC 2009

Il 08/05/2009 9.01, Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
> 2009/5/7 Dan<dan_ust at yahoo.com>:
>
>> But no one is forced to pay insurance companies (save for when
>> governments mandate insurance).  In other words, the other
>> insurance clients are not non-consenting third parties.  The
>> taxpayers are.  This is why insurance companies don't punish people
>> when they don't buy a policy, but government do punish those who
>> don't pay taxes.  (Yeah, not all the time, but the general rule is
>> there are penalties ranging from death to all lesser penalties for
>> non-payment of taxes.)
>
> Sometimes we are forced to pay for insurance. I am forced to pay for
> insurance on an apartment I own. I also have to pay for renovations
> to the building if the owners vote for it, even though I don't like
> what they propose to do or I can't afford it. If I don't pay, I can
> be sued or ultimately imprisoned. The argument is, if I don't like
> the rules I can sell the apartment or try to change the rules through
> my vote in the owners' corporation. Is that still coercion?

It is not, if it was in a contract given you before you bought the
apartment. Bad contract I would say.
The government imprisoning you is coercion.
Laws forcing you to do renovations against your will are coercion.

> Why is the social contract "tacit"? Would it make it any better if I
> signed a piece of paper when I entered a country as a visitor or
> migrant explicitly agreeing to abide by its laws, including the
> procedures for changing the laws?

Yes. Because the migrants could be sued and could not claim "ignorance",
"their customs are different", "religious duties", etc.

> Admittedly, I don't have a choice
> which country I'm born in, but I don't see a way around that
> problem.

What is the problem?
Until you don't write your name under the dotted line, you would not be
a "citizen" but only a "guest" of your parents. You do wrong, they pay
for you. When you accept the burden of citizenship you will receive the
privileges of citizenship.

There would be not a problem if people were differentiated in groups:
1) Citizens
2) Citizen's children
3) Citizen's guests (probably with subtypes)

The difference is that the (2) would become (1) only if they want and
not would be forced to become (1) when they become 18 years old.
Some laws limiting the rights of (1) would not be applicable on (2) and (3).

Mirco