[ExI] anti-capitalist propaganda, was: retrainability of plebeians

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue May 12 00:10:41 UTC 2009

2009/5/12 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
>> ...On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
>> I know a lot of people with minimal funds who blow them on
>> drugs;...
>
> Ja, this I do not buy however, for if a poor young person is using the
> really high-end stuff like cocaine, she must be either stealing or dealing.
> No one will slave at a minimum wage job all week and then snort the whole
> paycheck up the nose on payday.  They will buy cheaper drugs and get stoned
> every night, and still have money for actual food.  I have no problem with
> recreational drug use. But high schoolers using cocaine is a sure indicator
> of foul play.  I would not hire that high schooler, for her sense of the
> worth of money would be necessarily all messed up.

But students spend money on things that are a lot more expensive than
drugs, like overseas holidays. Do you mistrust all backpackers?

>> ... Usually they grow out of it when they are older and,
>> ironically, have more money...
>
> Sure but I would be forever suspicious of how they came into possession of
> that money.

Well, their employer pays them $1000 a week net and they have $1000 a
week to spend or save as they choose.

>> ...However, the more interesting point you make is that Obama
>> did not work hard for his money...
>
> Actually he never claimed to have worked for it at all.  I may have missed
> it for I didn't read the whole book, but he didn't actually claim to have
> had a job.  The money for that cocaine cries out for an explanation.
>
>> I am surprised that as a
>> supporter of capitalism you would hold this against him...
>
> I wouldn't, had he some legal capitalist scheme that worked so well he had
> piles of money lying around.  He doesn't tell us anything about that legal
> capitalist scheme.  Why?
>
>> As I
>> said in a previous post, a definition of capitalist success
>> could be making more and more money while doing less and less
>> work...Stathis Papaioannou
>
> I am with you there.  Stathis, how do you theorize the current reader of the
> free world came into possession of that cash, doing evidently NO work?
> Honestly Stathis, the man has some 'splainin to do, and the popular press is
> showing a deplorable lack of curiosity.

If a student gets by on less than a few hundred dollars a week, I
don't think it's reasonable to assume he must be a thief unless proved
otherwise. It would be different if he owned expensive sports cars, or
something.

--
Stathis Papaioannou