[ExI] Throwing money at education (was: libertarians and inheritance)

John K Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue May 12 06:50:27 UTC 2009

"Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> I know, I know. It's scandalous how much is just thrown away educating
> young humans

You are absolutely correct! The dreadful Washington DC public schools spend
$13,330 per student per year, think of a private school that charged that,
which school do you think would be superior?

I was reading a book about Hungarian scientists and the extraordinary fact
that such a tiny country could produce so many great scientists, like Eugene
Wigner, John von Neumann,  Leó Szilárd, Dennis Gabor, Edward Teller, Paul
Erdos and more. All these people went to high school in the early 20's and
as was the custom in Hungary at the time the class size was HUGE by today's
standards, 50 to 70 students per each not very well paid teacher. Apparently
throwing money at education will not solve all problems.

 John K Clark