[ExI] Health care discussion

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue May 12 16:59:41 UTC 2009

>> Then, healthcare is only partially responsible of life length of people.
>> Better food, sanitation, lower crime, etc. can have an effect.
>
> True, but that turns "the US health care system is broken" into "the
> American way of life is unhealthy and broken".  An interesting maneuver,
> to say the least.  The "richest country in the world" can't provide
> healthy food or *sanitation*?

"can't provide"?  The food is there, sanitation is there. Soap and water are not
*that* expensive.  I see people buying junk food while I'm buying whole grain flour
and fruit and vegs.  That is *choice*.

Healthy choices are more Extropian, no? Some folks eat way too much, others practice
caloric restriction. But "provide"??  Do you mean *force*?

Imagine how far foodstamps could go if wholegrain oatmeal were prepared instead of
packaged high-sugar cereal?  Or plain water for beverages or even green tea, rather
than sugar juice-drinks (what *are* those, anyway??).  Or fresh vegs rather than
some pre-made high-fructose laced "dinner" in a box.

It's not for lack of promotion, either. Food pyramids and such are plastered on
packaging everywhere, and the vitamin, sodium, carb, protein, fats content must be
listed.

Regards,
MB