[ExI] Consent by staying?/was Re: The Circle of Coercion

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Tue May 12 18:17:46 UTC 2009

Il 11/05/2009 22.54, Dan ha scritto:
> --- On Sat, 5/9/09, Stathis Papaioannou<stathisp at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> 2009/5/8 painlord2k at libero.it <painlord2k at libero.it>:
> [big snip]
>> So if I decided at age 18 that I don't want to obey the unjust
>> taxation laws, for example, I could be expelled (to where?), but
>> for those who accept citizenship taxation is part of the contract
>> they have entered into?

> For me, there is one glaring problem with this view: the state has no
> right to expell people simply because they don't agree to the state's
> policies.*  This is no different, to me, than any other criminal gang
> riding into town and then telling everyone, "If you don't agree with
> our rules, you're free to leave town."  (Granted, such a gang might
> be marginally more tolerable than one offering the choice of "agree
> or die.")  Just as with any criminal gang, the state has no right to
> demand obeisance -- in the particular case you mention, to demand
> payment of taxes.

Take out "the state". We are not talking about state.
The example revolved around condominiums and shared private properties.
We could take the example of Seasteading.
Hundred persons pay to build the platform and take an equal share of the
property. They decide unanimously to contribute a fixed sum per capita
every year to pay for the platform reparations and renovations as a "fee
to use" the platform. The shares give the owners a right to decide what
to do with the platform, where the fee give the payers the right to use
the platform for a fixed time. There could be payers that don't own the
shares of the platform or sharers that don't pay the fee to use it as
they live elsewhere.
The heirs (new sharers) would be compelled to pay for the use of the
platform as anyone else. If they don't pay, they could be forced out of
the platform.
It is true that they have not an agreement with the other 99 owners, but
the 99 owners are not bound by any agreement with the heirs. The heirs
can own 1% of the platform and live elsewhere or abide by the rules.
They could sell their 1% to someone else interested in owning part of
the platform. Or they could be forced to use and stay only in their 1%
of the platform until they pay the fee. Or, in case of modular design of
the platform, their module could be detached from the others.

> So I believe the consent by staying argument -- if that's what you're
> offering -- fails.

But it is not what I advocate.
My point is that people could decide what to do with their properties.
People inherit the properties will inherit duties and claims.
If they don't want the duties they have not claims.
The fact that there is anywhere to go is not a good reason to not follow
any rules.

>  Notably, it's quite similar to the argument that
> if people are not openly rebelling than they consent to the
> government ruling over them.

Really democratic government are ruled by the consent of the people, so
they share their government fate.
If they are not really democratic, the people is captives or
collaborators. In any way, what happen to them is imputable to their
government, not to the other side.

Mirco