[ExI] Protected Elites

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri May 15 19:02:42 UTC 2009

At 03:26 PM 5/15/2009 +0200, Stefano wrote:

>what we are living in is a neo-feodal
>society, where circulation of the élites is reduced to a minimum, and
>social mobility is largely a myth, the few examples of which have
>usually little to do with IQ, but rather with purely physical features
>(as in "marriage, show business and sport").

When James James Andrew Andrew Rogers was a
frequent poster on this list, he denied that
fervently, offering data suggesting a quite
remarkable degree of USian turnover in the upper
reaches of the plutocracy. At least half the
billionaires had parents who were poor or middle
class, that sort of thing. I find it hard to
believe, and even if it's true there might be
some power law that gives those right at the very
top of the curve incomparably more sway over the
nation's/globe's running, and most of those might
well be multi-generational elites. Data, anyone?

Damien Broderick