[ExI] Once again: Some vitamins don't help in large doses

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Fri May 15 23:30:05 UTC 2009

Hi Bill,
I said that "most supplements do not work" and by that I meant the many
large dose supplements that have been tried as purported preventatives or
treatments aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality rates from heart
disease and cancer principally (and secondarily from diabetes and other
diseases), as well as those supplements purported to slow the degenerative
effects of aging.

A few -- a very few -- supplements have been shown work. As you mentioned,
fish oil (and flax seed) containing Omega-3 has shown positive results for
heart disease.

However, the much-touted megadoses of vitamins C and E and Betacarotene have
either shown no positive effects or, as in the case of Betacarotene, harmful
effects.

Please don't try to squeeze me into the box of simple opposition to all
supplements. What I am arguing is that too many people are wasting too much
money on supplements that have not been proven to have any value.

I would think that people on this list, of all places, would put high value
on the results of scientific studies, almost all of which have disconfirmed
the supposed value for supplements .

But the history of discussion of this topic has shown that most people who
care enough to post about it do not really believe in the scientific method
as much as they claim to.

Am I being too harsh? I don't believe so.

Consider this: How much money would you -- this means YOU, dear reader,
whoever you are -- save each year if you only bought a simple one-per-day
multivitamin and perhaps some Omega-3 capsules?

If you are like I was from the 1970s through the 1990s, you would save on
the order of $300 to $1,200 per year.

What could you do with that kind of money?

Think about that.

Regards,
Mike