[ExI] Protected Elites

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat May 16 17:59:52 UTC 2009

A little more on this:

At 11:41 PM 5/16/2009 +1000, Stathis modestly proposed:

>"While few would deny that it is *possible* to start poor and end
>rich, the > evidence suggests that this feat is more difficult to
>accomplish in the > United States than in other high-income
>nations." > ...[snip]

>The explanation leaps out at you: poor people are genetically lazy,
>and poor black people at least doubly so.

It might be expected that to the extent intelligence and behavioral
dispositions are strongly inherited, the more mobility in principle a
society supports the less mobility will be seen after a few
generations. Regression to the mean would tend to equilibrate
individual surges up and down, but after a time the lazy and
incorrigibly stupid *really would* settle into the lowest
percentiles, and the smart and industrious (as well as the smart and
unscrupulous and the sociopathic, etc) would rise to the
"meritocratic" top. So there might be a tragic inevitability, over
time: the more mobility is possible, the less mobility takes place...
And perhaps America is leading the way here. On the other hand, this
sort of explanation is limited unless it corrects for memetic
barriers to mobility such as endemic cultural racism, sexism, etc.

(In any case, I think polygenic aspects of inheritance in the
interesting characteristics might make this hard to detect except on
a very large-scale analysis. And in the next half century, it will
probably all be moot anyway, as science learns how to tweak those
genes, epigenes, etc.)

Damien Broderick