[ExI] jewish humor

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun May 17 21:44:53 UTC 2009

At 01:02 PM 5/17/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:

>In retrospect it may be suggestive of involving children, which I hadn't
>thought of before, and yes that would kill the joke.

That was my, um, point about the, uh, gag. I'd intended to add a
comment to the effect that such concerns were not so widely or often
discussed when Asimov told that joke, before priests and teaching
brothers all over the place were found to be doing it to their
charges, but I figured this would be obvious. And you could go on to
object that anyway the cocksucker *couldn't* have been speaking of
fellating a child with a little cock because then he'd be in prison
rather than on a bridge about to kill himself, but that's an
afterthought--the immediate association of "little" with "child" was
enough to stop me laughing at the joke, which is where we, er, came in.

Damien Broderick