[ExI] META: Off-topic discussions

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon May 18 16:09:14 UTC 2009

On 5/18/09, Max More wrote:
> I don't think it's possible to establish a bright line to distinguish
> between posts that are suitable for this list and those that are not. At the
> same time, it's clear that many posts are not well suited to this list.
> Rather than trying to establish lots of subtle rules, I suggest that each
> person thinking of making a comment or starting a thread ask the question:
>
>  Does this post I want to make belong on the Extropy-Chat list more than
> anywhere else? Is it of particular interest and concern to transhumanists,
> given their shared interests?

Agreed, that's a good question for technical threads.
For example, Biblical exegesis or mating habits of the greater-crested
sea slug, while interesting in small quantities, is probably not
directly concerned with transhumanism.

But what about all the 'bonding' stuff?
And there is a grey area between 'bonding' and light-hearted
discussion about non-transhumanist subjects.

I agree that serious discussion about non-transhumanist subjects
probably just upsets people with no gains for the Extropy-chat list.

BillK