[ExI] why darwin matters

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue May 19 04:03:53 UTC 2009

2009/5/18 Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com>:
> On Sunday 17 May 2009 8:11:40 am Emlyn wrote:
>> I'm with Spike, youtube is amazing. Not because of the endless sea of
>> crap, but because of the pearls that lie within.
>
> I agree.  The Internet does contain pearls.  It is a mistake to criticise the
> Internet as a whole.  But we can seek better tools to filter out the crap and
> locate the rare pearls.
>
> --
> Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>

That filtering and/or searching, is the main game, to be sure.

Not everyone quite understands that the internet is a good thing, of course:

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/16/1825244&from=rss

"Michael Lynton, CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment, said, 'I'm a guy
who doesn't see anything good having come from the Internet, period.'
Why? Because people 'feel entitled' to have what they want when they
want it, and if they can't get it for free, 'they'll steal it.' It's
become customary to expect a somewhat limited perspective on things
from old-world entertainment companies, but his inability to
acknowledge that the Internet has changed everything makes me think
he's a very confused man. Is this when we all give up hope that
companies like Sony Pictures can adapt? Will we look back on this as
one of the defining moments when the industrialized entertainment
industry lost touch for good?"

Probably not. Probably over time, we'll forget the man, the comment,
and the industry itself.

--
Emlyn

http://emlyntech.wordpress.com - coding related