[ExI] "Off topic discussions"

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Tue May 19 04:49:53 UTC 2009

Giulio writes

> Unfortunately the only topics that seem to stimulate some interest on
> the list lately are those related to the superiority of a race or
> economic system wrt others. Sad.

Well, you have to admit that you exaggerate a
bit. We have, for example, at the present moment
an epistemology discussion, a general humor
discussion, a discussion of vitamins, and
several others.

The economic system superiority of some system
and the group superiority of a class of people
are hot topics, mostly because they've been in
the closet so long. It makes most people very
uncomfortable to discuss them, quite apart
from whether or not they're appropriate to the
list. Your very email, where you write "sad",
I think attests to this.

Although "catharsis mechanisms" in general are
suspect, it's probably good that societies air
out certain topics, rather than continue to
suppress their discussion. This was just as
true in the 19th and 20th (and, egads, 21st)
centuries about the possible truth of religion
as other "sensitive" things are now. It one
of the graces of the open society that we
should all be grateful for.

Lee