[ExI] LIT: The Medusa Complex - A Theory of Stoned Posthumanism

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Thu May 21 19:52:41 UTC 2009

--- On Wed, 5/20/09, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 10:40 PM 5/20/2009 +0200, Stefano wrote:
>> This is also the sense of the Heideggerian Abbau, or
>> "deconstruction"
>
> Or arguably "Destruktion" since deconstruction is more
> properly the Derridean method.
>
> I think we have to assume litcritsprache has independently
> coined the term "posthumanism" as another step beyond
> Althusserian "antihumanism," so it has no obvious relevance
> to the transhuman/ posthuman spectrum discussed in
> discourses such as this list.

Several years ago, John J. Funk was debating something like this with a literary theorist (or perhaps it was a student of postmodern criticism).  Some of the problems seemed to be cleared up once Funk explained that he was talking about posthuman-ism -- NOT post-humanism.  :)  I think the "post" -- like "meta" and "neo" -- prefix gets bandied around a lot and there's an assumption that it's meaningful.  (In this vein, I recall, many years ago talking with "post-libetarians."  The only two things that seemed similar about the various people using this label was they believed they were libertarians at one time and they used the label.  Other than that, they were all over the place ideologically -- though, to be sure, none had turned into, say, rabid fascists or totalitarians.)

Regards,

Dan