[ExI] The Rationality of Belief is Relative

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu May 21 22:20:46 UTC 2009

At 10:51 AM 5/21/2009 -0700, Lee wrote:

>>>Slavery seemed perfectly natural to Aristotle
>>>and Cicero. You consider this a rational lapse
>>>on their parts?

[Olga:]
>>Yes.  (And I would guess that many of the slaves probably didn't
>>think slavery was "perfectly natural.")
>
>Au contraire. Prior to the last five or six
>hundred years, there were only a few people
>who had much sympathy at all for slaves

By "only a few people" I assume you're referring to the first
one-word sentence you cite from Olga, but not to any of the following
parenthetical sentence--which is also about people, many of whom
probably did have sympathy for their fellow slaves, and at least some
of whom might have wondered as the whips fell and their families were
torn apart whether this were truly the "perfectly natural" order of
the world. The Hebrews didn't seem all that fond of this natural
order, if the Bible is to be trusted on such matters.

Damien Broderick