[ExI] More on US Health Care Costs

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri May 22 11:35:23 UTC 2009

On 5/22/09, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
<snip>
>  The U.S. has “the least efficient health care system in the world,”
>  said Kevin Schulman, director of the health management program at Duke
>  University in Durham, North Carolina. “These costs keep growing
>  despite the recession, and health care is going to shoot up as a
>  percentage of our GDP even more. It’s just spooky.”

Market systems of trading have two opposing forces.
1) competition forces prices down to minimum producer survival levels.
2) monopolies or niche markets force prices up to the maximum that the
market will bear.

The US health market has concentrated on 2).
So long as there are sufficient rich people or companies able to pay
the top prices, then prices will keep increasing.

BillK