[ExI] Human Experimenting

painlord2k at libero.it painlord2k at libero.it
Fri May 22 17:37:26 UTC 2009

Il 22/05/2009 18.10, Stathis Papaioannou ha scritto:
> 2009/5/23 painlord2k at libero.it<painlord2k at libero.it>:

>> The contract is void, because the matter of the contract is not under the
>> control of the signer.
>> The signer would need to put himself in a position where he have no more
>> free will (say he lobotomise himself). But until he retain he free will, he
>> will not be able to sign away his freedom.

>> It is like signing a contract and agreeing to "be good".
>> People can not sell the future.

> That would invalidate most contracts. The idea of a contract is that
> you agree to something at the time and then can't break the contract
> (unless that was explicitly part of the agreement) even though you
> change your mind.

If I buy a car and agree to pay it tomorrow, the car become really mine
tomorrow, after I pay for it. If I can not pay, the car will return to
the previous owner. I could also be responsible for the incurred damages
or costs incurred for the repossession. If and when I have the means to
pay, I will be forced to pay. But I can not be forced to work to pay
back the damages and the costs. I can only be forced to pay with what I
have at hand or by seizing my possessions. Usually, the debtors will
choose the redress they prefer (money seizure or goods repossessed).

If you can be forced to work for pay past debts, you are a slave.

In the past (Rome for example), slavery existed not on racial basis but
on other basis.
People sold themselves or where sold as slaves as a way to pay for their
debts and the debts of their family.
The act of selling themselves to others and the act of being unable to
full fill their own obligations to others individuals of the society can
be considered a way people loses their privileges under the social
contract. This would, IMHO, be consistent with the fact that the other
large class of people that become slaves was the prisoners of war (by
default out of the social contract of the society they are at war
against). Other sources of slaves for the Romans were abandoned children
(individuals out of the social contract) and slaves bough from abroad
(the same). In other culture I'm aware, the slaves are people out of the
social contract of the slave owner. Being slaves and being inside the
social contract is not possible, as what you do is what your master want
and he is responsible for your actions.

Mirco