[ExI] Left Behind

Sat May 23 21:18:16 UTC 2009

"Jef Allbright" <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote,
> The first was a post by Robin Hanson to LessWrong, raising the
> question among the experts (nerds) there of why masturbation is so
> frequent when its evolutionary signaling power is impaired by its not
> being public.

Ack!  I always cringe when people ask anthropomorphic questions about
evolution.

Evolution is not a conscious process that tries to increase reproduction
rates and the survival of genes.  Evolution is a random mutation process
with no goals.  It is merely a statistical side-effect that random mutations
increasing reproductive rates tend to out-complete less reproductive
mutations.  Therefore, it is a mistake to ask why evolution did something or
didn't do something.  These things happen randomly.  The real question we
should ask is if a particular mutation increases or decreases reproduction
rates.  Rephrasing the question to a non-anthropomorphic form usual
clarifies the situation.

In this case, we shouldn't ask why masturbation evolved to feel good.  It
simply was a random mutation that caused genitals to feel pleasure when
stimulated.  From that starting point, it is obvious why this mutation would
lead to both increased reproduction and increased masturbation, since both
feel good.

A related question, that Robin may have been implying, is why didn't
evolution produce genitals that feel pleasure during reproductive sex but do
not feel pleasure during nonreproductive sex.  This would have required a
much more complex mutation to detect and distinguish between fertile and not
fertile stimulation of the genitals.  Statistically speaking, the simpler
mutation that leads to both reproduction and masturbation would likely have
evolved first.  Since most animals will not choose masturbation over a
chance sexual encounter, the later mutation would probably not have
increased reproductive rates anyway.  It would have required more complexity
for no added reproductive rate.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>