[ExI] "meat"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun May 24 18:07:42 UTC 2009

At 06:33 AM 5/24/2009 -0700, Spike wrote:

>         I, too, am startled at Damien's vehement comment. Still, in response
>to Lee's comment, if a replacement is needed that might be less offensive,
>how about "flesh".
>
>         Max
>
>Hmmm, "flesh" sounds a bit...biblical.  How about protoplasm?  Carbon
>tissue?

What's wrong with any of the words people have always used, such as
"body"? Or, if one must contrive something new to connote a
distinction that does not yet exist between kinds of persons, "vivo"
versus "silico" or the like?

The point is that "meat" (in this context) implies disgust,
revulsion, contempt, belittlement. Spike's "larva" is droll (because
we know he doesn't mean it, because he loves his son Isaac), but
don't you suppose people would find it rather... creepy... if someone
referred to a child or spouse as "the meat"? "I have to leave work
early today to pick up the meat from school."

Damien Broderick