[ExI] Left Behind

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 25 07:44:36 UTC 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 9:31 PM, Eschatoon Magic wrote:

> Natasha is making a lot of sense. The uploading option is not
> available yet, so we can only enjoy what we have now and at the same
> time enjoy our visions for the future.

Their enjoyment requires working on them as quickly and as best we are
able, right?

> This makes even more sense to me since I am not wildly optimist on the
> actual development timescale of uploading technology, and don't really
> hope to se it achieved in my lifetime.

I think the interesting question is how determined we are to see these
technologies realized is say the new few decades at most.    But
hope?  I "hope" it is available next week.   :)   I realistically hope
it is available in 2 - 3 decades.

> But I use to react to those who insist that the uploading option is
> impossible in principle. because this position (especially when it is
> not supported by actual arguments) looks like mysticism to me. And I
> also react to those who insist that transhumanist ideas are "dry",
> because this position shows that they have not understood much.

Yep.

- samantha