[ExI] More on US Health Care Costs

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon May 25 08:01:50 UTC 2009

It is not just a matter of "efficiency".  Under "efficiency" as the
population ages and the governments eventually run health care it is
logical to expect major rationing of care from simple economic
reality.  This can have a very large negative impact on all of us,
especially boomers.     I have yet to see an "efficient" government
program.     What really needs to be the take home message is that
only a moon shot level of committment to anti-aging medicine can save
an aging developed world population from utterly blowing out budgets
and condemning billions to needless suffering and death even at the
point in history where many of the old "inevitable" sufferings of
aging are beginning to be addressable.

We are not getting much longer life spans largely because almost zero
energy is put into preventative medicine or getting the non-food if
not outright poison off the grocery shelves.    It not a matter of how
many people are covered or how efficient the system is or is not.
Some of those "inefficiencies" fuel medical research that simply is
not done anywhere else in the world as well.

The biggest true inefficiencies come when there is no feedback toward
efficiency.  If I know my care will always be paid for where is the
incentive for me to push for better prices and more efficient care?
Where is the incentive to take better care of one's self if medical
care is simply a given that "the system" somehow magically makes
happen?   Where are the drivers to efficiency in that?

- samantha