[ExI] Is unemployment the future?

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 5 23:25:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 01:16:07PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> There are not enough paying jobs around people can do. Meaning, either
> they can't do it, or they can't get paid doing it. The result is the same.

That's a big difference though.  "Can't get paid" may simply mean that
the people with money aren't willing to pay for it.  Looking around, I
see shortages of teachers, nurses, doctors, environmental cleanup crews,
public transit bus drivers, people building non-fossil fuel power
plants, road and sidewalk maintenance or upgrades (they get patched,
not sent to mint condition), good science journalists and cross-field
integrators, people working on anti-aging an other research, port
inspectors if we're seriously worried about container nukes...

Lots and lots and lots of jobs that need doing and that AI is nowhere
close to handling.  Of course, a lot of them involve
<whisper>government</whisper>.

-xx- Damien X-)