[ExI] Is unemployment the future?

JOSHUA JOB nanite1018 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 07:03:47 UTC 2009

I'm definitely heavily influenced by Objectivism, though not entirely
convinced by the epistemology of it (though I think its pretty close
to right). Rand wasn't really anti-Keynesian so much as pro-laissez-
faire. So the Federal Reserve shouldn't even exist in her view (and
mine). Even so, that doesn't mean that anyone wants the Fed to
intentionally cause harm. They didn't merely not act appropriately, or
just maintain the status quo. They did the dumbest and most damaging
thing they could possibly have done (granted, without meaning to do
so, but the point remains, it was their fault). In fact, the
Depression is one example of why trying to manage the economy is a bad
idea, you'll always make mistakes. Another one would be the present
recession, which was predominantly caused by Keynesian monetary
policies such as super-low interest rates back in 03-04, which caused
the housing bubble and the present crash. So when its being anti-
Keynesian or Keynesian, the Fed still causes major catastrophes.

But yeah, politically Objectivism is all about a laissez-faire market
economy. So anything the Fed does, "right" or "wrong", is undesirable
(though, in my opinion, doing something which damages the market more
than anything else you could possibly have done, is way way more
undesirable than any other course of action, haha).