[ExI] Is tobacco really harmful?

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Nov 23 05:04:52 UTC 2009

> A vast body of medical statistics indicates that cigarette
> smoking causes many diseases.  But these data, almost
> entirely, pertain to cigarettes with chemical ADDITIVES--of
> which there are many...  Rob

Rob a couple thoughts on this and couple questions.

Do you have a reference to Dickens characters calling cigs coffin nails?
Can't find anything on google.

Nicotine doesn't cause cancer at all.  The notion is that cancer is caused
by the tar in the tobacco.  So when low nicotine cigarettes were all the
rage, it may have caused smokers to smoke more, which was fine with the
tobacco companies, but might have actually caused more cancer.  Nicotine has
plenty of bad health effects, as my family learned when medications were
developed for Alzheimers patients.  Shelly's grandfather took them, and it
messed him up bigtime.  We think it may have contributed to his stroke.

Regarding grandfathers, mine started smoking as a teen, and quit at around
age 40, which was in the late 1940s.  I asked him about this, since the
medics were not yet adamant about the bad health effects of tobacco in those
days.  My grandfather made an interesting comment, "The doctors weren't
saying much in those days, and many of them smoked, but the life insurance
companies knew all about it.  Anyone with half a brain could easily figure
it out: the smokers had less stamina, coughed more and so forth.  We didn't
really have the lung cancer connection figured out in those days, but the
emphysema connection was easy to see back then, easy."

I thought that was very insightful of the man.

Tobacco additives may cause the problem to be worse, but we have plenty of
evidence tobacco is bad by itself.  Rob don't get any ideas about marketing
organic cigarettes; that will cause us to become pissed offwardly.

spike