[ExI] Some thoughts on the ecopocalypse - the argument for domestic ground based solar.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Nov 26 10:07:56 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 09:37:47AM +0000, BillK wrote:

> Agree. I'm very keen on solar panels on every available surface.
> But the efficiency needs to keep improving to get to the stage that
> consumers snap them up as a 'no-brainer'.

Efficiency is completely irrelevant. Current panels are more
than good enough, all that matters is ROI. ROI depends on
many things, whether insular or grid-tied, whether retrofitted
or designed-in as integral part of the building structure,
and similar exciting things. Many claim that crossover with
residential electricity prices are at around 1 USD/Wp.

> Also, nuclear power stations are starting to think 'small' as well.

That only addresses the funding and production bottlenecks, not
missing sustainability.

> If these small stations become available to support say 10,000 to
> 20,000 customers, then every small town could have their own nuclear
> power plant.
>
> <http://nextbigfuture.com/2009/11/latest-on-four-small-nuclear-reactors.html>

Careful with that blog. It carries a curious mixture of bona fide
news and compleat BS. For some reason the author is completely
unable to tell the difference.