[ExI] Goldbach Conjecture

Will Steinberg asyluman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 05:59:30 UTC 2009

I think I may really have got it now.

Since we can represent every situation like this by a doublesieve, we need
only prove all doublesieves will have holes in them.  Here is how I do
this.  A sieve of length n--let's say 16--has a set of spaces A that are at
2k, 3k, 5k...mk where k>1 and mk<n.  It also has a set of spaces in the
opposite manner, which can be given by nmod2+2k, nmod3+3k...nmodm+mk where
once again k>1 and mk<n.  All we need to prove is one necessary hole between
those spaces.  It is given thus:  Choose a prime in the set that is under
any 2k (let's choose 5) that has the property n mod p =1. We cannot create 5
from our 2k, 3k,spaces, because the only one to do so would be 5k, and k
must be greater than 2.  So we must find a nmodp+pk that is equal to 5, k of
course being greater than 2 again.  But alas!  We find that the only way to
have nmodp+pk=5 be if p was less than 5.  so we have nmod2+2k which yields 4
and nmod3+3k which yields a minimum of seven!  The point is here:  Construct
the sieve for any length.  Choose a low prime.  As long as none of the set B
spaces are equal to it, we have a hole.  The nmodp+pk must be equal to our P
for the whole to be covered.   But there is always a P inexpressible by
nmodp+pk--simply choose a low p with a modulus of 1 for n.  then, if nmodp
is not 1, nmodp+pk is greater than P.  But if nmodp IS one, nmodp+pk can
never equal our P.