[ExI] ants again

Anders Sandberg asa at nada.kth.se
Mon Oct 19 10:13:40 UTC 2009

Fascinating experiments, Spike!

I think the pheromone trails lack direction information, although I
would guess there is a trail pheromone indicating which way towards food
and a nest pheromone indicating which way towards the nest (I have not
seen anything about a nest pheromone in the literature, maybe I am wrong
about it). So if you could paint two separate trails with them you would
get one-way trails. The kielbasa model looks like it is close to real
ant simulations I have read.

I wonder what I can do with the ladybugs who are planning to winter in
my bathroom window. Just this morning I met three (one was crawling up
my leg). Unlike ants they are not social; their mindset is more like a
trundling predatory tank looking for aphids. Which of course suggests
all sorts of fun interactions with an ant-trail experiment... (we need
somebody else to start training aphids)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute