[ExI] Ants to spike

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Tue Oct 20 13:14:37 UTC 2009

---- Anders Sandberg <asa at nada.kth.se> wrote:

> jameschoate at austin.rr.com wrote:
> > There are lots of papers on arxiv.org about ants, their behavior, and how
> > they apply it to traffic analysis.
>
> But most of them are about ant algorithms rather than real formicids;
> learning how Spike's garden ants behave from them is like trying to learn
> psychology from the robotics papers on arxiv.

Only about 2/3, that still leaves quite a few discussing the computational biology aspect. And even the algorithmic ones are derived from experimentation or results of same to other regimes. Pareto Principle in action.

> Besides it is much more fun to actually do experiments oneself. Which laws
> of physics have we actually tested at home, lately? (I think my latest
> experiment was when I tried to extract lead from paint chips by boiling
> them in vinegar and identify it by precipitating it with salt; the
> experiment failed but smelled wonderfully of Chemistry)

I operate a hands-on science hackspace/museum and have been involved in hands-on for quite a few years.

--
 -- -- -- --
Venimus, Vidimus, Dolavimus

James Choate