[ExI] Ants to spike

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Wed Oct 21 15:47:29 UTC 2009

On 20 Oct, 2009, at 13:15, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> It is strange what a physicist considers easier. I think 18th/19th
> century qualitative analytics is hard to beat in speed and
> simplicity.

Clearly, you've never used an XRF. :) Less than 2 minutes of sample
prep (load powder or flak into PP vial) and about 2 minutes of scan
time. Look for lead peak. Done. XRF is widely used in industry for
quick assay, especially in environmental analyses.  Just cause its
"instrumentation" doesn't make it complicated! Spectroscopy is well-
accessible to a citizen scientist.

Also, you need more than eye for lead chromate, because how will you
tell it from other blue pigments?

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn at freeshell.org>