[ExI] externalization of knowledge again

Max More max at maxmore.com
Fri Oct 23 14:31:25 UTC 2009

Emlyn wrote:
>Everywhere that I see studies on the effects of free digital copies
>on sales, the availability of free copies cause a boost in sales.
>Weird but seems to be the way.

Really? That's not what I've seen. How do you reconcile what you say
with the well-documented decline in record sales? Are you saying that
the musicians who give away their music the most vigorously are
selling more, while the less vigorous givers are experiencing massive declines?

For instance, I read this piece a couple of days ago. The included
chart shows strongly falling sales of CDs, even as music consumption grows:

What the GDP Gets Wrong (Why Managers Should Care)
By Erik Brynjolfsson, Adam Saunders
MIT Sloan Management Review, Fall 2009 (October)
http://sloanreview.mit.edu/the-magazine/articles/2009/fall/51119/what-the-gdp-gets-wrong-why-managers-should-care/

I'm one of those people who likes to own rather than simply access.
Why? Because I'm concerned that conditions will change and I'll no
longer be able to access what I want, or a fee will be added later.
This is especially a concern when you have to have a proprietary
device or service membership to access the music.

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Strategic Philosopher
Extropy Institute Founder