[ExI] Study: Retail health clinics as good as doc office

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Mon Sep 7 20:14:18 UTC 2009

On Sep 5, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Max More wrote:

> Can't say I found the results surprising:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32681973/ns/health-health_care/
>
> My sole experience, so far, visiting a MinuteClinic was very positive.

I'm not surprised either, I just wish things would move even further
in that direction. I see no reason a nurse backed up with some good
medical diagnostic software couldn't do as good a job as most doctors,
maybe better; it's not like the doctor personally does the blood test
or performs the MRI, and if you need a X ray the nurse will do it .
But the doctor still gets by far the largest paycheck. I think the
only time a supremely talented human being is still needed is in
surgery, other than that moderately talented is good enough. I also
think it would help if all prescriptions were over the counter,
including Heroin.

It's interesting that in this big health care debate we're having now
none of these ideas are even mentioned, nobody is asking why it's so
damn expensive in the first place; all we hear is new and ever more
convoluted ways for me to pay your medical bills and for you to pay my
medical bills.

   John K Clark