[ExI] For the sake of argument

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:06:03 UTC 2009

2009/9/21 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> On Sep 20, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Tom Nowell wrote:
>  Religious organisations were not responsible for the Dark Ages.

This sounds like an oxymoron to me, the dark ages being those where
religious obscurantism, cultural decadence and chaos installed to give
eventually place to a frozen society dominated by fundamentalism and
fanatism.

> You don't know that, we can't be certain what caused the Dark Ages, perhaps
> it was just a coincidence that they started at just about the same time that
> Christianity caught on big time in the West, perhaps not. Christianity
> certainly can't be blamed for the collapse of the pre-Incan Moche
> civilization that ruled present day Chile, Peru, and Bolivia; but it is a
> little odd that a South American Dark Age started at almost the same exact
> time as a European Dark Age.

Why, they had themselves much worse when monotheists got around... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj