[ExI] Singularity - Non-Gender Specific

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 02:12:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 5:45 PM,  <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> Quoting Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2009/9/29 Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc>
>>>
>>> Because the Singularity is so male-dominated...
>>
>> I haven't noticed that. Can you explain what you mean or cite some
>> examples?
>
> Dave, have you ever been to a Singularity event?  Have you ever posted on
> the Singularity email list?  Have you attended the Singularity Institute's
> Summits?

No, no, and no.

> Have you read references and bibliographies on papers, articles
> and books concerning the Singularity?

I've read articles and books about the singularity. I don't know
exactly what the distinction is between singularity and Singularity.

> Certainly, I do not need to gather this material for you.  It is readily
> available.

OK, then... I guess this is just over my head.

> This issue is not male vs. female. It is an topical issue.  One could say
> "Where is the Zen of the Singularity?"  That might bring it home to some who
> don't grok the chrysalis metaphor.  But, nonetheless, it is an important
> metaphor. It seems that the Singularity is "driven" nowadays.  I remember
> talking to Vernor about if we could steer or drive the Singularity and he
> said it might not be possible.  Nevertheless, I realize that the driving
> force behind the Singularity is male-directed.  I am not saying this is good
> or bad.  I am saying that it MIGHT be wise to rethink it.

Yes, it's definitely out of my league because I don't see what
attempting to drive the Singularity has to do with gender.

Sorry for wasting your time.

-Dave