[ExI] mersenne primes again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 1 06:13:38 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of BillK
> Subject: Re: [ExI] mersenne primes again
>
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:42 AM, spike  wrote:
> > Ja.  It is of particular interest to me, since the field of
> > prognostication using statistical techniques is so maddeningly fraught
> > with ways to fool oneself.  I did it myself...
>
> Have you read this article?
> <http://primes.utm.edu/notes/faq/NextMersenne.html>
>
> This graph looks interesting to me.
> <http://primes.utm.edu/gifs/cum_gaps.gif>
>
> BillK

Ja thanks BillK I am well acquainted with this article.  I am a big fan of
Chris Caldwell.  He can do better than this; that article is far from his
best work.  That being said, overall, Caldwell's prime pages are excellent,
ineresting and informative.  That relationship with Euler's constant may be
a perfect example of how we can fool ourselves with something that kinda
works.