[ExI] mersenne primes again

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 21:12:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> G, I get your point: using Drake style reasoning, it is impossible to get
> the number of expected extra-terrestrial civilizations to go to zero, and
> using that line of reasoning also prevents getting the number of
> power-failure babies to go to zero.

What your power failure Drake equation is missing is that it doesn't
take into account the number of pregnancies that the power failure
prevents, e.g., due to romantic liaisons that would have happened
otherwise but are prevented by at least one party being involved with
restoring power, monitoring backup power systems, or being on standby
for dealing with the restoration of power, e.g., in a data or
communications center.

-Dave