[ExI] mersenne primes again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 22:09:29 UTC 2010

On 4/1/10, spike  wrote:
<snip>
>  Better than spending a year on calculus would be a parallel path which
>  students could choose, which takes advantage of a tool we didn't have in my
>  misspent youth: the spreadsheet.

Really???  You think???

You probably haven't heard that somewhere between 90% and 100% of
spreadsheets are found to contain errors when audited.

See: <http://www.louisepryor.com/showTopic.do?topic=31>
Quote:
A few years ago Professor Ray Panko, at the University of Hawaii,
pulled together the available evidence from field audits of
spreadsheets. These are the results he shows:

Total 91%

More recently Lawrence and Lee analysed 30 project financing
spreadsheets. All 30 had errors; the error rate was 100%.

Also see:
<http://www.eusprig.org/stories.htm>
for a selection of horror stories.

That's what you get when everybody and his dog think they can just
slap a bit of data and a few calculations into a spreadsheet. Easy -
peasy.

BillK