[ExI] fuel economy vs danger

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 22:07:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

### The deceleration in collision, and this is what I wrote about, is
not substantially impacted by the brakes. The primary consideration is
the ratio of weights of the colliding cars, as well as the stiffness
of their frames.

--------------------------

> I don't think the dreaded government is much concerned about the size
> of car you drive.  It is cost that is the main driver (!) of choice.
> Fuel costs money and will cost more as oil becomes scarce. Smaller
> cars use less fuel.
> Insurance and maintenance costs also increase as cars get more
> powerful and expensive to repair. Smaller cars are cheaper to insure
> and service.

### My choices are constrained by CAFE regulations, gas taxes, gas
guzzler taxes, and a host of other forms of interference, all of which
force me to drive a lighter, smaller car (Mustang) than what I would
choose if only free trade shaped the trade-offs.

Rafal