[ExI] will work for food

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Apr 15 15:53:11 UTC 2010

> > On 4/15/10, Dave Sill wrote:
>
> > > I'd like to be able to place an order at my local Wal*Mart
> > via the web
> > > with the option of picking it up or having it delivered...

As if on cue, this headline appears:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2010/snapshots/2255.html?h
pt=T2

Whether we like it or not, the business of merchandising is facing a forced
metamorphosis.  Manufacturing costs are actually dropping over time as
factory goods can be produced with less human labor and more information
content.  The web allows adverstising to reach more proles, against their
will if necessary (assuming they still have an actual will), distribution
costs are actuall declining as China builds ever larger ships and our semi
trucks ply the interstate freeways.

All these declining costs are putting the final distribution in the
crosshairs.  The old business model is doomed, the one where the local
merchant who knows something about their products.  I see no point in trying
to save that.

But if we do replace it with something, we should do it with something that
solves current major problems, such as shoplifting and threat of lawsuit by
employees.  Think about this, it wasn't just an idle gag earlier.  Imagine
having a job option that you could go and do at any time, any time of year,
any time of day, you could be away from it for days, weeks or months, even
years, then come back and do that job again.  No startup cost, no training
required, complete flexibility, just show up and work.  With that enormous
advantage, I can imagine it wouldn't pay very much, since the supply of
labor under those conditions would be enormous, but we as a society should
have something like that somewhere.

What is the closest approximation of this currently?  Anything?  Would it be
those guys who hang out in front of Home Despot with the understanding they
are available for day labor?