[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

samantha sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Apr 28 23:37:55 UTC 2010

samantha wrote:
> spike wrote:
>>

>>> ...On Behalf Of samantha
>>> Subject: Re: [ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

>>> I am talking about ATENS which are around 1 AU.  So where does 2.6
>>> AU come from? - samantha
>>
>> It occurred to me that those close-in asteroids must be out of the
>> plane of
>> the ecliptic.  Otherwise the gravitational influence of the other
>> close-in
>> planets would have messed up the orbit by now.
>
> They do not last long in those orbits true enough.  And how they are
> replenished is in part an open mystery.  But in the meantime there are
> enough of them of sufficient size to be worth exploiting.  Also some
> of the Amors come close enough to exploit during parts of their orbit.
> Most are not that far out of plane.  Many are in plane.
>

>> Samantha do you have a reference which gives the Atens' angle to the
>> plane?
>> Did you have in mind sending actual proles out there?
>>

> No, only reports.  I will look for one. There have been probes
> exploring near earth and other asteroids.
>
> - samantha

Here is one.  JPL has a nice queryable database one layer in from this
link.  Note that they lisst 1116 hazardous asteroids.  So we know at
least that many come close enough to exploit.  :)

Orbit Diagrams
<http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/>
I used the ugly query here:
my query
<http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb_query.cgi?obj_group=neo;obj_kind=ast;obj_numbered=all;ast_orbit_class=ATE;ast_orbit_class=AMO;OBJ_field=0;ORB_field=0;c1_group=ORB;c1_item=Bt;c1_op=%3C%3D;c1_value=0.1;table_format=HTML;max_rows=10;format_option=comp;query=Generate%20Table;c_fields=AaAbAhApBgBhBiBnBrBt;c_sort=BtA;.cgifields=format_option;.cgifields=ast_orbit_class;.cgifields=table_format;.cgifields=obj_kind;.cgifields=obj_group;.cgifields=obj_numbered;.cgifields=com_orbit_class&page=17>

also look at pretty diagram on

Near Earth Objects Map <http://szyzyg.arm.ac.uk/%7Espm/>

and

Asteroid Orbital Elements Database
<ftp://ftp.lowell.edu/pub/elgb/astorb.html>

- samantha