[ExI] Stephen Baxter's Titan

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 05:20:38 UTC 2010

On 29 April 2010 14:42, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> The 60s were good days for the rocket biz.  We must be ready to recognize
> that technology isn't always forward in all fields.  Almost all and almost
> always, but some technologies do rot on the vine.  Plenty of our reference
> material generated in that decade is still in use today.  Pretty soon the US
> will have no manned access to LEO, after landing guys on the moon over 4
> decades ago.
>
> Emlyn if you get a chance, try to talk one on one with some of the rocket
> guys who were in their 20s in about 1960.  There were some things that were
> just fundamentally different back then, and better in a lot of ways for the
> space biz.
>
> spike

Spike, you will *love* that book, get your hands on it and have a read.

I'm more than willing to believe what you say here (not my field). My
beef was that his attitude in this regard is not just to space, but to
everything.

The humorless satire thing; it's not really like that, more he's
painting a picture of earth as going down the tubes, which is
important for isolating his space explorers from help. Sort of similar
to what Kim Stanley Robinson did in the Mars trilogy, to create a
believable background for revolution.

--
Emlyn

http://point7.wordpress.com - My blog