[ExI] Mining the Sky SL Talk I gave today

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 30 18:15:42 UTC 2010

--- On Fri, 4/30/10, David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com> wrote:
> The key is the concept: Rather than worrying about
> predicting
> where it will land, why not try to make it easy to find
> once it has?

Because landing it anywhere near a populated area will
get you tossed in jail, possibly for life, and/or
executed, and will set public opinion strongly against
asteroid mining for decades.  (See what happened with
nuclear power for a tamer example.)  It would have the
exact opposite long-term effect of what we are trying
to accomplish.  Even seriously risking it would start
down this path, and might get the law to shut down
your operation before you can get the asteroid
anywhere near Earth.