[ExI] Islamic culture (current) was Religions and violence

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Mon Aug 2 22:17:24 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Dave Sill wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:
> > As of religion giving excuse for predatory practices, there are a lot of
> > other philosophies doing this as well (including atheistic or
> > antireligious one).
>
> For example?

In no particular order:

 - Nazism (this is complicated, while Nazism was antireligious it
incorporated religion inspired elements)

 - Fascism (complicated, sometimes antireligious, sometimes cooperated
with churches)

 - Communism

 - Anarchism (some forms)

 - Imperialism

 - Economic liberalism

"Some argue foreign providers crowd out domestic providers and instead of
leading to investment and the transfer of skills, it allow foreign
providers and shareholders to capture the profits for themselves, taking
the money out of the country"

 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_liberalization ]

 - Laisses-faire capitalism

"In Britain, in 1843, the newspaper The Economist was founded, and became
an influential voice for laissez-faire capitalism.[10] In response to the
Irish famine of 1846-1849, in which over 1.5 million people died of
starvation, they argued that for the government to supply free food for
the Irish would violate natural law."

 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laissez_faire ]

 - Nationalism

 - Racism

 - Feudalism

 - Atheism

"The French Revolution took atheism and anti-clerical deism outside the
salons and into the public sphere. A major goal of the French revolution
was a restructuring and subordination of the clergy with respect to the
state through the Civil Constitution of the Clergy. Attempts to enforce it
led to anti-clerical violence and the expulsion of many clergy from
France."

 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism ]

 - Cult of Reason - This one is especially cool for me, as I find myself
on the first step. I can't wait for depravities. I have always felt
inclined to this kind of career.

"The Cult of Reason was explicitly humanocentric. Its goal was the
perfection of mankind through the attainment of truth and liberty, made
possible only by the exercise of the human faculty of reason."
(... enter French Revolution ...)
"Numerous anti-clerical groups and events only loosely connected to the
cult have come to be amalgamated with its name."
(... and ...)
"FouchĂŠ led a particularly brutal campaign of de-Christianization through
many parts of France which helped spread the developing creed. FouchĂŠ
ordered all crosses and statues removed from graveyards in his
jurisdiction,"
(... come to Festival of Reason ...)
"An altar to liberty was installed over the old one, and the inscription
"To Philosophy" was carved into the church facade; the lengthy proceedings
concluded with the appearance of a Goddess of Reason who, to avoid
idolatry, was portrayed by a living woman.[6] Although some scholars have
since said otherwise, [7] contemporary accounts reported the Festival of
Reason as a "lurid", "licentious" affair of scandalous "depravities".[8]"

 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_of_Reason ]
 [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goddess_of_Reason ]

 - Hedonism (some forms, I think)

 - Egoism

 - Sexism (both male chauvinism and women chauvinism, IMHO)

 Regards,
 Tomasz Rola